Sunday, October 6, 2013

Pok Fu Lam


Pok Fu Lam Village

Every morning around 8:45AM bus 970X swings around a high turn about and gives its passengers a full frontal view of the shanty town Pok Fu Lam Village.  Pok Fu Lam to me was never a sought out or planned adventure, but with daily window seat viewings, it seeped its way into the recesses of my interest.  Recently we had a half day off due to a typhoon and the weather was hardly severe enough to stay indoors so I jumped on the opportunity.  My PFL experience was more sobering than adventurous, but I appreciate a little slap of reality in this playground of a city . 

 As a foreign English teacher life is pretty lush and easy.  Within a month of walking onto the Hong Kong scene I secured a well paying job just for being able to speak the language my mother taught me.  The apartment and community of instant ex-pat friends soon thereafter fell into place. Not bad, considering the people living in PFL get paid a small portion of my salary to work three times as hard and come home to the grating questions of availability of running water or electricity.  An hour tops was what I spent here and I'm no expert so let's allow the photos to do their speaking:  



View walking up from the road

970X view






The top of the village, surprisingly lush

city gazing


One way to secure a roof




View of the village from the top, you can see in the upper left hand corner the road my bus takes

No comments:

Post a Comment