Sunday, September 8, 2013

Dragon's got Back

My head is pounding and the whiskey from last nights house party is already oozing out of my pores as I pound the pavement to the MTR.  The sun is burning bright and my knock off ray bans are going to be my saving grace for the next six hours.  Why do I do this to myself again? Not only the roller coaster of the late nights and whiskey, but then waking up and torturing myself on six hour hikes?  My bed is still warm, my body having just left it because any attempt to fall back asleep would prove fruitless.  Sleep is lousy match for my inner incessant unquenchable thirst for adventure.

Today's conquest: Dragon's Back trail in Shek O.  




Generally, Dragon's Back is a 6-8 km hike that slightly resembles the scaly back of a dragon with stunning views of Shek O (amazing beach), Tai Long Wan (Big Wave Beach), Stanley (another great beach), and the South China sea. The latest issue of the local magazine in my neighborhood had a "Greatest Hikes in Hong Kong" which praised the hike highly and solidified my Sunday funday adventure plans.  After grabbing a few handmade dumplings from the Shau Kei Wan Sunday market I thanked the weather gods for the beautiful sun, cool breeze and the 29 degree temp.

The trail head was littered with a smattering of nationalities of people, but mostly, French.  I purposely stuck wedged myself behind a mother and her baby daughter to eavesdrop on the conversation: "Oui maman, je toujours regards le film avec les papillons,""Oui? De Quel?""Le film avec le papillons!  Tu sais?"

Steps up making the scales of the Dragon's back.
The initial bit up the mountain was a challenge, but a good one.  It burned for a bit and I definitely broke a sweat, but let's be honest, when are we not sweating here?  The climb was completely worth it when eventually the trail leveled off and was heaven for the next couple of kilometers.  The wind was strong, the sun kissed my shoulders and the scenery was bright vivid green mountain and electric blue ocean.  The wind danced in the trees making patterns in the leaves.

 Shek O


The descent of the trail was actually the only part I found difficult as I was trying not to pound my knees into oblivion and simultaneously attempting control of my out of shape shakes.  Tough balance. Not to be spoiled or anything, but the scenery on the way down was nothing to write home about.  I might have been coming down from a sunshine high.  Eventually the trail winded into the town of Tai Long Wan and I immediately got hunger pangs from the various smells of food wafting through the air.  I saw three men hustling chicken wings and grilled corn on a barbecue pit.  It wasn't a question of "will I?" but "how many?" (No chicken wing has ever tasted better).  I took my wings, my bag, and my weary weary body to plop down on the beach.

Big Wave Beach and it's neighbor, Shek O Beach, are very well know in Hong Kong and there were throngs of families posted up.  Not surprisingly, I once again, heard a symphony of French coming from all directions.  Large populations of French to me gives a place mad street cred.  The French know a thing or two about making the most out of life so this place has to be a good time. Exhausted, I threw everything off including my clothes and dove right in to the refreshing water.  The waves rolled in, laughter and chatter floated all around me, as did an Asian main in a thong on an inflatable flip flop.  The hike left me drained, but the water and the sun are re energizing my spirit.  Nap time on the beach: sleeping in public never came so easily as it did then.

   





No comments:

Post a Comment