Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A Valentine's Day Ballad

Today in class I wanted to start a conversation about Valentine's day.  I did what I always do when I want to gauge the knowledge level of a certain subject around the room, I asked each student individually a question.  Today, my first question was, "What do you think Valentine's Day is?"  I got various responses, most of them being something along the lines of "It's when boy/girl gives chocolate to a girl/boy."

My favorite response from that round was from Sumin who said, "Valentine's Day is when Teacher Suzannah and I make chocolate and go to the play ground and run run run (simultaneously moving arms and legs in rapid running motion) and then and then (panting) fall down and and (lays head on desk)." 

 In scientific terms, we're going to get together and gorge ourselves with chocolate until our bodies are so inundated with sugar that we'll have an incredible burst of energy and run until we burn through the sugar. Then, our blood sugar levels will drop dramatically, and we'll crash somewhere on our foreheads in the playground never to be seen again.

I explained that Valentine's Day was the day we all celebrated love for someone special. I asked each student who they were going to celebrate love with.  Most typically responded with "my mom", or "my parents".  The interaction I learned the most from was the following:

Me: "Sophia, who will you celebrate love with tomorrow?"
Sophia: (big grin) "I am going to celebrate with Stephan!"
Me:  "Well that's sweet, Stephan are you going to celebrate love with Sophia as well?"
Stephan: "NO.  I am going to celebrate love with SJ"
Me: "Huh.  SJ, are you celebrating love with Stephan?"
SJ:  "Yes!  We are angry birds together!"

As they continued with their conversation, it dawned on me.....

Bromance has just proven itself to be a universal trans generational phenomenon that has been leaving women across the spans of time and Earth to color sullenly in the corner by themselves.  It's got nothing to do with me and there is nothing I can do to stop it.  I am not alone in this. 

And just like little Sophia today- we have all had our boyfriends look at us and say, "Not today, honey, I'm angry birding with my bro."    


No comments:

Post a Comment